Saturday, July 5, 2014

Travel Mom

In ten days, I get to earn another gold star to go on my mommy merit badge. I already have one gold star on my "travel" patch. I got it last summer when I flew from Telluride to Indianapolis with a layover in Denver and two kids under 5 in tow. I had to plan that trip out months in advance. We had spent six weeks visiting in Telluride, and left directly from there to visit family before my sister's wedding. It was quite an undertaking, but I definitely earned my mommy merit badge for that. (Just to be clear, this is a metaphorical badge.)

So, this time around should be a piece of angel food cake. Granted, Lily is a whole year older, and can walk now, but her desire to be on or near me around strangers will work to my advantage. She is still nursing and still young enough that she takes naps, which will make the plane ride easier. Even if she doesn't nap (which I am sure she will) the plane ride will be a success. I am confident that my instincts as a mother, my impeccable packing skills (yes, I am one of those people who loves to pack) and my proactive planning will get me and the children to O'Hare from Sedona with no problem.

I actually relish the opportunity to travel solo with my two loves. Not only do I get to pacck for three people, I get to see the best in total strangers too. People are always willing to help out a mom. "Here, let me get that for you," "Can I carry something?" I have difficulty accepting help, sometimes. I just like to plow through and do it all myself. Even when I go to the grocery store alone with both kids, I refuse help out to the car from the bagger. "No thanks, I parked close." Last year, before we flew out of Telluride, my hubby gave me some sage advice, "Let people help you," he said. He knew my track record he with asking for and accepting help. It's a rule I ignore most of the time, but when we travel, I let go, and use the help that comes to me.

My secret to travel success and confidence, other than accepting help from others, came as an idea from a fellow mother. She and I have kids the same age, and regularly get together for play dates. Several years ago, she took her daughter to New York as a toddler. She said she wrapped up presents for her daughter to open on the trip. She said it was more about taking time during the trip to open the presents rather than the gift itself.

Ever since then, gift giving has been a travel tactic I have used with Carrick. So, last week, I made a trip to the Dollar Tree and spent $20.00 on small items I could pack for the kids that would make fun presents for them to open on the plane. I didn't just get toys, either. I bought new toothbrushes and toothbrush travel covers, chap stick, a board book that Lily could scribble on, bath loofahs, travel sized tissues with their favorite characters on the wrapper. Simple things. They didn't have to be big or expensive, just something. To a kid, anything wrapped up is a present, it's all on how you present the present.

I also made a point to buy them each their own kid's size suitcase with wheels. Since Carrick is old enough to have his own seat, he gets to have a carry-on as well as a personal item. So, we bought him a Lightning McQueen suitcase on wheels ("Just like Ethan has.") We also found his Space Angry Birds Backpack that has hardly been used, so that will serve as his personal item. I also bought him a new zipper pencil case that matches his backpack for his writing utensils. And for Lily, I bought her a cute lady bug suitcase on wheels. I decided that pushing a stroller and carrying a roll-aboard behind me would be too cumbersome. Instead, I'm just going to bring Lily's suitcase and a diaper bag as my 2 items. I have been gathering books, and toys to put in their bags that might be useful, and the night before we travel, I'll pack the presents.

I also had the forethought to borrow a stroller for the trip. We own a double stroller, a travel system stroller that matched her infant car seat, as well as a pink umbrella stroller. You'd think with three strollers, one of them would work for the trip. The issue lies with transportation once we arrive at our destination. We will be staying with my sister and her new husband, and they both own 4-door sedans. That means that I'll get to sit between two car seats in the back, when we're all going somewhere. (I refuse to drive in Chicago.) So, that puts my checked bag in the trunk and leaves very little room for a stroller. But, a stroller will be a necessity in the airport, so a middle-ground umbrella stroller fit the bill.

Even though our pink umbrella stroller is small enough, the handles are low and the wheels get sticky. It was a free hand-me-down from a friend. Lily likes us to push her around the house in it, but it's not practical for expeditious airport travel, nor for long walks in the big city. So, I asked another friend if I could borrow her Chicco brand umbrella stroller for the trip. It has a big shade canopy, the ability to recline, bag storage underneath, and has high enough handles to be comfortable pushing around. Plus, it folds up small enough to fit at my feet in the back seat. It has the features of the big stroller, but the compact size of an umbrella stroller.

As backup transportation, I plan to also bring the Ergo, that way, I can nurse Lily on-the-go if necessary. It will keep Lily contained and me comfortable on the plane. And if Carrick gets tired when we're out and about, I can put him in the stroller and carry Lily in the Ergo. (No need for the double stroller.) Between the Ergo and the umbrella stroller, I'll be able to quickly, comfortably and easily transport both kids. (Carrick might walk next to me in the airport, but I have to be prepared for the "I'm tired" song and dance.)

The last leg of my preparation involves snacks. Carrick came up with the idea of packing his lunch bag with snacks. We will hit the grocery store the day before we go and get the organic or "healthier" alternative to Carrick's favorite treats. For example, I prefer to pay a little extra to get him Annie Organic Gummy Bunnies as opposed to the regular fruit gummies at Safeway. (I'm one of those moms who reads labels and doesn't purchase High Fructose Corn Syrup products.) I also want to get the kids their own little box of seaweed snacks. They come in little papers and are crunchy, like chips. I got some for myself a week ago, and the kids actually liked them. Pecans and cashews will also be on the travel menu, and of course, Luna Bars.

What a fun time we are going to have visiting family! Corey gets to take a week off work and will fly out the week after we do. We will get to spend our Tenth Anniversary at Argyle Lake State Park where we exchanged vows, and do some hiking. Then, it's off to a wedding! Corey's cousin will be getting married while we are there too. (We actually planned the trip around their wedding and our anniversary.) So, with all my planning and forethought, I think we'll be able to enjoy some smooth sailing.






No comments: